Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Wednesday, September 10, 2008

History According to Grama Sue

Lately my experiences have led me to what I believe are some interesting historical revelations.

The first has to do with golf. Most sports have some basis in skills needed for hunting and/or farming. I had no problem seeing where the long drives came from in golf. Being able to hit or throw a rock long distances is a basic hunting skill – but what about putting? Today it suddenly occurred to me that I was becoming quite a good putter. I’ve been practicing nearly every day! There’s this one really dumb chicken who insists on laying her eggs under the roosts. In order to avoid crawling behind it, I get a stick and gently move the egg forward with a putting stroke. Who knew???



The other two have to do with green beans.




The other day I was sitting at Maxine’s working up some buggy beans. These are beans that have a lot of good in them but have brown spots that need to be taken out. One of Maxine’s friends walked in and asked if I was frenching them. I wasn’t too concerned about how they looked, but honestly it would have only taken a few more strokes of the knife to make them into French style beans. I’ll bet some woman had a bunch of buggy beans that she wanted to serve at some social event. To disguise the fact that they were buggy, she sliced them up and told everyone they were the latest rage in France. Of course all the women at the affair knew the truth since their beans were all buggy too, but instead of giving her a hard time, they thought, “Oh what a great idea!” and proceeded to do the same.

My other “bean” revelation came tonight as I was snapping beans while sitting in a straight chair. Just for a change in position, I sat up straight for awhile without the support of the back. It wasn’t long before my back began to ache. I remember reading in more than one book that 18th and 19th century “ladies” were expected to sit straight without using the chair back for support for hours at a time as they did needle work. The pain in my back caused me to wonder how in the world they did it - something I’ve wondered about before. Then it hit me! Duh! They all wore corsets! They wore their own chair back all the time.

Yes, I think about weird things. Nothing new – Ask my kids. You think my waking thoughts are strange – You should hear some of my night time dreams!

God Bless You All!












3 comments:

Mary Jo said...

OK I had to read the entire paragraph before I figured out you were talking about beans that had been eated by bugs and not some new varity of beans as in baby buggy beans, yeah I'm slow.

Corsets are a posture help yes, and I must get my strage thoughts from you.

Sue Whitson said...

Well, I almost wrote something about my darling daughter would surely get the thing about the corsets! - For those of you who don't know, Mary Jo used to do Civil War reenactments. But honey, you know all about buggy beans too! You've been a city girl to long!

Colleen said...

I'm thinking a corset right now would sure improve my posture! Great thoughts Sue!