Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Sunday, April 8, 2012

Plastic Bottle Greenhouse Update

Yipeee! I managed to get my sample wall panel done today! I've decided the actual walls are going to be at least 6 foot tall, but I made this smaller panel to take to the farmer's markets so I can show people. Hopefully, a lot of people will be inspired to donate their pop bottles to this project.


The panels will be approximately 3 foot wide. I put bailing wire through each stack and attached them to fencing stays at each end. Then for extra support I wrapped bailing wire around the whole thing a couple of times. When I put the panels together, I'll wire the fence stays together and attach them to the frame of the greenhouse. 

I'm figuring I'll need approximately 36 3' x 6' panels to make the roof and the south end of the greenhouse. It will be sitting on the south end of my trailer. My trailer sits kinda cockeyed so the east side will be facing slightly north, so I plan to use old tires and plywood for that side. I want to stagger old tires filled with dirt in a stack on that wall. It will have a strawberry garden on it and will serve as a solar gain bank. I'll put the door on that side too. The northwest wall will be my bedroom wall and the south west wall will be 4 panels with tapered tops. I'll need to attach a sheet of plastic over the roof to prevent leaks. There will be cracks in the walls, but according to what I've read, that doesn't hurt much. I may decide we need some sort of plastic curtains during the coldest part of the winter, but we'll see. I'm thinking I'll need approximately 425 two liter bottles to complete this project. With a little help, it ought to be doable!

Happy Easter Everyone!

God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue 


No comments: