Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Thursday, January 6, 2011

Slow Down on the Farm

It's January! Things are pretty slow here on the farm. Not much to report. I went to California for Christmas. Someone there was telling me about the incredible prices they pay for straw and hay out there. If I wasn't so busy with assessing right now, I'd get really serious about figuring out how to haul a load out there and bring some citrus back. But alas! It is the quad year for the one job I really hate. No time, no time!

Our new chickens have finally started to produce. We are going to be in Quincy tomorrow promoting them at the Hy-Vee store on Broadway. We will probably have to add another store as well.

We've been busy looking at seed catalogs. I've got a wish list a mile long. What are your favorite farmer's market veggies?

God Bless You All!
~ Grama Sue

2 comments:

JoyceP said...

Happy New Year, Sue! My favorite veggies to grow and that sell best at our market are Provider Green Beans, Cherokee Purple tomatoes, Sunshine winter squash (a hybrid variety), St. Valery carrots, Paris Cos romaine lettuce, French Breakfast radishes, herb bunches especially dill and spearmint, Perkins Long Pod okra, and Red Cloud potatoes. I grow lots of other things but these are my best sellers.

Sue Whitson said...

I absolutely love Cherokee Purple tomatoes. We grew them for the first time last year. I told Grampa we didn't need to grow anything else ever. He disagrees, "Our customers want those pretty hybirds though!" He's right. We just need to educate them. Last year we only had a couple of plants and with the cold wet weather none of our tomatoes did very well. Got any good tips on how to grow them?