Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Thanking God for the Weeds!

After the 5 beautiful inches of rain we got last night, I decided to play hookey from the market so I could tackle this:






Last week when it rained a bit, I discovered that I still had strawberries in the Trinity garden, but  most of the bigger weeds were just too hard to pull. Several spots on our farm look like this right now because we haven't had anyone who could run the rototiller and I just haven't had time to pull them all by hand. I'm not fretting over it though. I'm thanking God for the weeds.

When I was a young bride, Grampa Tom's work took us out in the boonies. I was pregnant and the closest jobs were about an hour away, so we settled on me being a stay-at-home mom. After the baby was born, I grew bored, so I decided to read the Old Testament. At the same time this townie girl was learning a whole lot about agriculture. One of the things that really fascinated me was the practice of Shemitah. Several great things happened once every seven years. The one thing that peaked my interest was that the Israelites were instructed to let their ground lay fallow during the Shemitah year. They didn't plant, they didn't plow and they didn't weed. In this way, the ground was replenished and fertilized. I thought that was amazing :)

With the availability of fertilizers today, we really don't need to do this, but back then it was vital. I'm considering this something of a Shemitah year for my ground. The bigger gardens will have the weeds plowed under and I am using the weeds from the smaller gardens to fill my huglekulture dog house garden! After last night's rain, it really needed some more weeds!





So tonight, the Trinity garden looks like this:


and the huglekulture dog house looks like this!


Thank You LORD for the weeds!

Hope Grampa Tom had a good night at the market :)

God Bless You All!
~Grama Sue

No comments: