Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Profit

So I'm making up for all those missed posts this winter! I know it's only been a few days, but there's so much going on here today!


Grampa wanted me to show you all what he's been doing all day. He's been cleaning out the barn:



There's a Proverb in the Bible that says "An empty barn is easy to clean, but there's no profit in it." I think we've got a lot of profit going on here! Can't wait till it shows up in our bank accounts!



And that's just one stall in our barn. Can you see the difference in the ground level? It is amazing how much can accumulate over the winter! We will use this composted bedding and manure mix to fertilize our gardens and the field we have up at Jesse's place. That's my dog Blue in the foreground and the guineas going into the barn.



This is my new herb garden - filled with "profit" ;)


A few pictures of the other raised bed gardens:



We haven't been able to get into the traditional row garden yet! So glad we have these! I really like our new fencing to keep the chickens out too. If my 4 legged grandchildren behave themselves when they come to visit and don't dig in the gardens, I might just have a place where they can play without having to worry about them running off!

Grandpa and I have been debating whether or not we have any bees left for a couple of months now. I was pretty sure we did and he didn't think so. He went to move this hive so he could plant some red rasberry plants we had been given and found out different. I tried so hard to bite my tongue, but it slipped out anyway, "I told you so!" So glad he didn't get stung!



My rock pile:



It's an adjustment going from farming 1400 acres with a 12 row planter to gardening. Rocks were always an enemy to Grampa. They tear up that expensive equipment right quick! Grampa always resented my rocks and when he came home to work, one of the first things he wanted to do was get rid of my rock and brick collection. I wouldn't let him. They just come in too handy when you want to cover gardens and in lots of other ways too!



I think he's finally getting the hang of this :)


The hair sheep are looking rather scruffy this time of year.




They spend a lot of time rubbing against fences to get rid of their winter growth.


Our ram just loves to have us pull the hair off his back!

Shorty is having lots of fun running around with the rest of the sheep all day. We bring her in to the garage at night just to make sure she doesn't get too cold, but I don't know how long we'll be able to do that. Tonight, she ran from me even though I had a bottle for her. Hunger finally wore her down and when she latched on to the bottle, I grabbed her and took her in. Independent little squirt!


It's midnight. We just got done processing the eggs and eating supper. Better go to bed. Tomorrow will be another big day!


God Bless You All!


1 comment:

Sharon said...

As always...totally enjoy your informational & spiritual blogs! (o:
Grandma Sharon