Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Sunday, April 18, 2010

Farmer's Markets Starting Soon!

We are gearing up! The Hamilton Farmer's Market sign is up. I'm going to try to get there this week. Will have spinach, fresh chives, lemon balm, noodles, eggs and muffins at least. Might get Mom to bake a pie or two and some cookies, who knows! The Burlington Market starts May 4th so we will be sure to be there!

We have most of the raised bed gardens planted. We built two more this spring. Grampa planted onions, kohlrabi, spinach, swiss chard, beets, peas, cucumbers, turnips, kale, lettuce, zucchini and probably a few things I'm forgetting about.

We were surprised with spinach in one of the raised beds when the snow melted. We planted it late last summer hoping for a fall crop, but it didn't do anything. When we took the plastic off, it was ready and raring to go! Our strawberries are looking pretty good too. No blooms yet, but the apple trees are covered with flowers.


I've been thinking I ought to try to take a picture and post at least one sentence 3 or 4 times a week. Maybe I'll take a picture of the apple trees later this week.



We have all kinds of new baby chicks! There's 200 in this building that are about 3 weeks old.


Our new farm hand's job is to love on them! This is my granddaughter. She is coming over a couple of times a week while her folks work. Her mom and I are starting to homeschool her. I've missed having kids around!




The hens are having lots of fun with all this green grass! Their yolks are getting darker again too.

Last weekend I had a garage sale. I put out my egg yolk demonstration and added one of my white eggs to the display. Both days I cracked one of our white eggs, one of our brown eggs and of course a typical store bought egg. Both days the darkest yolk was from a white egg! Pretty cool to see. I'm going to continue to do that at the farmer's markets this summer. Come by and see!


These are some of our Cornish Cross chickens out sunbathing. They don't have a lot of feathers and they seem to be somewhat sun burnt, but it doesn't seem to bother them.

Our dogs have been working hard all night every night chasing off coyotes. They laze around all day.


If'n ya got a hankering for fresh spinach, herbs or noodles, come to the Hamilton city park Wednesday afternoon or just give me a call and swing by my place! 309-221-0785

God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue

No comments: