Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Thursday, October 13, 2011

Indoor Garden Preperations

Life gets kind of crazy on the farm this time of year. Grampa Tom has been in the fields helping a neighbor get his crops out so I've been doing my work plus some of his. But! Life is good! I'm still eating out of my garden and I'm finally back in my jeans! And I hope to continue even after the snow flies.

It has been wonderfully warm here, but it's supposed to start cooling down so yesterday I rearranged the living room at my farmer's house so I could quickly pull things in when I need to.


It was cloudy out yesterday when I did this. This room is usually much brighter, but I have some lamps that will help on cloudy days. I plan to put the garbage can garden on the left and the other plants on the table. I bought the wire shelves the other day. I can fit 3 more so I will buy them the next time I am in town.


My garbage can garden is doing great. Can you see the little cucumber at the base of the plant? I had a  problem with powdery mildew a few days ago so I got on the internet and found a baking soda remedy for it. There are only a few spots left. Isn't the internet wonderful?


There's a lot of other stuff waiting to come in too. The first plant is my lemon balm, then some holy basil, and a couple of big pots of rosemary. 


There are several little pots of sweet basil, cilantro, dill and lemon grass. There's also a big pot of aloe behind the tomato plant.


Grampa Tom had a couple of volunteer tomato plants that he saved for me so I'm gonna have lots of tomatoes. The little pots on the left are cilantro. The big orange pot is lemon grass and the grey pot is a mixture of different herbs for winter cooking.

Most of the herbs are for the winter market in Burlington. The cilantro and the dill will probably poop out before it is over, but I hope to keep the basil going all winter and dry it so I have some dried basil when the markets start again in the spring. Oh! I've also got a stevia plant sitting next to the porch on the ground that I didn't get a picture of. I don't know how big they get. If it really bushes out, I may have some stevia at the market too.

The next problem will be how to start plants in the spring. Don't know if I'll have room. I'm not going to start them as soon as I did last year. God will show me. He's got till the end of February! 

I really can't wait to take fresh picked tomatoes and cucumbers to the market in December. Won't have very many, but it will make an impression!

The other day, Grampa Tom came over to my mound garden and told me he thinks he ought to leave the gardening to me and go do something else. Now THAT is the ultimate compliment!

God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue

No comments: