Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Monday, January 23, 2012

Garbage Can Garden Bust

Well, it's official, my garbage can garden is a bust. After I pulled the dying cucumber and tomato plants, I replanted cucumber, onions and lettuce. All of them came up beautifully, but then fizzled. I thought maybe the cucumber would make it, but today it is dry and shriveled in spite of plenty of water. My "soil" is obviously composting and burning the roots when they get down far enough. The level has sunk about a foot. Oh well, it will probably be a great planter next year and I'll bet it saved a penny or two on the heat bill. They say composting soil will reach temps of up to 160 degrees.



On a happier note, I bought some asparagus and rhubarb seed because I'm to cheap to buy roots. I put a few in some pots to see how well they would germinate and they came up nicely. I'd have pictures of the rhubarb but the pot fell over this weekend. I think I'll wait till spring and plant the rest directly into the ground. All the experts advise planting roots, so I'll let you know how this experiment goes.



God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue

No comments: