Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Garden Musings


Got to blog, got to blog, my mother is counting on it ... Oh! Am I here? Yes! This computer has been difficult to work with lately. I need to sit down and reformat it I guess, but who's got time? Anyway, here's me selling my weed at the farmers' market! This is Sweet Annie. It is a weed that grows along our fences. Grampa used to kill it, but then he found out we could sell it for $3 a bundle so now he lets it grow. You should hear all the comments we get, but I assure you, it's perfectly legal to sell this weed at the farmers' markets.

The summer is winding down. I love this time of year! Every meal is loaded with fresh veggies from the garden and Grandma Whitson and I are busy putting up jams, tomatoes and all kinds of apple stuff like applesauce, pie filling and apple butter. I usually try to put up about 50 quarts of chili, some spaghetti, goulash sauce and salsa, but I'm not sure if I'll get enough tomatoes this year. We are finally starting to get green beans. I doubt if there will be enough to put up, but that's OK, I still have plenty left from last year. I've started making jams with honey instead of sugar. I've even ventured into some interesting ingredients. Ever tried cucumber/apple or orange/cantaloupe jam? They are really good. We've been letting people sample at the markets so come on down.

The chickens are starting to come back into production and the baby chicks are starting to lay. Pretty soon we should have 250 to 300 eggs a day. I've been doing some elder care on weekends, but my client is going to a nursing home soon. I hate that he has to go, but I'm going to need my weekends to get out to the stores and sell eggs!

The corn and bean fields are starting to turn. Grampa will be in the fields soon. I'm going to continue doing the markets until the first part of October. The Burlington market goes through October, but I plan to quit all but that one soon. Gotta get my house cleaned and get a jump on the reassessment year for my tax assessing job. 

It's been a wet year. The geese have loved it even if our garden hasn't. I'll leave you with a video of my back yard in the morning ... I'm so rich!




God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue

1 comment:

JoyceP said...

Oh, you have Sweet Annie growing wild? I'm jealous! I love Sweet Annie but it is difficult to grow here because of our short season -- I can't grow it long enough to harvest seed. The seed is sometimes hard to order, too. I've only gotten it to grow once in six years!