Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Friday, August 26, 2011

Patty Pan Recipe

Saturday, Grampa Tom came home from the farmer's market in Keokuk raving about what Angelini's Pizza  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angelinis-Pizza/104870421466?sk=wall  had done with our patty pan squash. He didn't get the recipe, but what he described sounded pretty doable. So I decided to try to come up with something similar.



I started with these ingredients: Chard, tomatoes, onions, garlic and a patty pan from my garden and some sausage from Duck's Foods in Nauvoo. I love Duck's meats. If I don't grow the meat myself, it probably comes from Duck's. 


I browned the sausage.


I sliced and added onions.


Then I added finely chopped garlic. I've had a couple of different garlic presses, but I wasn't impressed with how they work. If you have one that works well, please let me know where you bought it!



I chopped and added several chard leaves.


Then I quartered the patty pan.


I removed the seeds although I don't know if that was necessary.


and then cut it into cubes.




Then I put it into my dutch oven. I should have started out with it, but when you are spacially challenged (and yes I made up that word) you just have to  make adjustments and clean a few more pans.


Then I covered and cooked it on a low heat while stirring frequently until the patty pan squash was tender.


Then I seasoned it with salt and pepper. The salt shaker is from a health food store in  my parent's hometown Borrego Springs, CA, but I've been refilling it with Real Salt that I buy at the Hy Vee stores in Quincy, IL.I also used about 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese.  I folded about half of it into the mixture and then sprinkled the rest of it on top.



I put the cover back on to melt the cheese.



And served it up with some fresh tomatoes and cucumbers. Grampa Tom loved it! So will you!


God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue

No comments: