Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Stevia Apple Butter

Last spring while browsing through the plants at Farm and Home, I came across a stevia plant. On impulse, I bought it. When I got it home, I put it in a pot and placed it in the garden. A few days later, it DIED. I mean DEAD, no leaves, stem disintegrated, nothing left DEAD! I didn't have anything else to put in that pot, so I just left it there. Almost 3 months later, I looked in the pot and saw something growing. It didn't look like any weed I was familiar with, so I decided to let it grow. After a few weeks, I got brave and tasted one of the leaves. Sure enough! It was my stevia plant back from the dead!


Yesterday, I thought it had grown enough that I could steal a handful of leaves from it without much harm. I picked up some apples and experimented with making apple butter with fresh stevia instead of sugar. I'm not a big fan of stevia extract. I think it's got a funny aftertaste, but my apple butter is nice and sweet, with no aftertaste that I can tell! I'm so excited! I'm going to take some to the market in Burlington tomorrow. Come tell me what you think!

God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue

No comments: