Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Saturday, December 31, 2011

December 31st, 2011

What a beautiful end of the year! Spent most of the day working in the garden. I'm gonna be hurting tomorrow, but how could I resist! Over the last few days, I've managed to clean up most of this year's crops and get the mulching done for next year. I'm having a philosophical problem with pulling up the green stuff that is  STILL producing! If I get all the mounds dug that I want to finish this year, before they really die, I'll have to suck it up and pull the kale, chard, spinach, lettuce and arugula. I need to cover the beds with leaves or straw for the winter, but how can I? I'm telling myself the critters need some food. If I had chickens over at my farmer's, I'd put the electric netting around it and let them polish it off!


I put in a little winter onion patch back between the trees this week and today I dug a new mound. You can see both in this picture. I want to build 2 more mounds on this end of the garden and two more at the other end. 
Grampa Tom and I spent a little time planning where to put new gardens and measuring them out the other day. I've been spending my evenings drawing them on graph paper so I can get busy planning next year's gardens. I've been studying companion planting this fall, so Grampa has put me in charge of all garden planning. We will probably double our garden space again next year. 

2012 promises to be an interesting year with all the gloom and doom out there. I don't for a minute believe the end of the world is at hand, but I'm concerned that some of this could become self-fulfilling and make things rough on everyone. Hopefully, all the hype will turn out to be just that. But, if worse comes to worse, I'm glad I'm a country girl. Grampa and I at least have half a chance at being able to produce our own food!

In any case, we are in God's capable hands! I'm concerned yes, but not afraid. We've been through rough times before and God was faithful to see us through. If you are afraid, God wants to put His arms around you. He loves you so much He sent Jesus to die for you. Seek Him and you too will find a peace that it beyond all understanding. 


May God Bless You All in 2012!

~Grama Sue




No comments: