Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Monday, July 1, 2013

Cilantro

Finally have my cilantro back! I didn't bother to plant any early because the stuff is a weed and I thought some would be coming up around here, but it never appeared. I must have done too good of a job at seed gathering last fall. Anyway, I have 2 little patches now and one more that has just been planted. 


The other day, a customer was befuddled because she had bought a cilantro plant somewhere and it just went to seed. Cilantro will do that. In order to keep a steady supply, you need to plant it every 2-3 weeks ... and even then, it probably won't do anything if it is really hot. Last summer I planted some at the end of June and it didn't even bother to come up until late August! Seems weird to me given it's popularity as a salsa ingredient, but that is how it is. 

To save it for those yummy late July salsas, just chop it up, put it in ice cube trays, put a little water on top and freeze! Don't throw away those stems! They are the most flavorful part :)

Have you heard about all the health benefits this stuff has? It helps take heavy metals out of your body, balances cholesterol, balances blood sugar, anti-oxidant, antibacterial, anti-fungal, stress release, protects against salmonella, prevents UTI's ... No wonder I'm prone to craving salsa!

I'll have it at the markets this week!

God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue




No comments: