Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Late Potatoes

I had some Yukon Golds that got kinda green sitting out at the markets, so I put them in my fridge and was peeling the green off of them as I used them. Then they started sprouting eyes.



The seed companies tell you that you shouldn't plant potatoes that haven't been treated for disease, but my sister-in-law says she's never planted seed potatoes. She just gets them from the grocery store and plants them when they have some good eyes. She moves her potato patch around every year and she's never had any problem.

I suggested to Grampa Tom that we try planting these even if it was the first of August. We have never heard of anyone planting potatoes the first of August around here, but the stores don't carry seed potatoes this time of year. He wasn't so sure, but I think if I hoop them and cover them with plastic when it gets a little colder, we might just get a nice late crop of potatoes. We've got a couple of raised beds that we've harvested and were sitting empty, so I decided to fill one with potatoes.


I headed out to the lot where the compost piles are and got a wheelbarrow full of composted manure that's been working for over a year. 


I worked it in and put the potatoes in at the same time. Shhhh... Don't tell Grampa Tom, but I stepped in the raised beds to do this. I am to short to reach across these beds when they've got a trellis on the back. Why, you ask didn't I take the trellis off the back? 


Because my bailing wire fix job on my umbrella clothes line only lasted about 2 weeks.


Then I had to chicken proof it. I think I did a decent job. I haven't found a chicken in it yet. 

I'll let you know if it works!


God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue


No comments: