Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Thursday, July 14, 2011

Lettuce in July

They say you can't grow lettuce in this heat, but I'm doing it! I was reading that heat really isn't the thing that causes lettuce to bolt. It's lots of sunshine. If you keep it shaded, you can grow lettuce in the heat of summer. This year, I decided to put it on the north side of the house where it only gets about 2 hours of direct sunshine a day. I took my first cutting off of it last week and it tastes good! Some of my customers have been concerned it would be bitter, but they've been pleasantly surprised!


I'm thinking next year I'll plant lettuce like I do cilantro. Plant a new little patch every two weeks. That way if it gets a little bitter, I can just tear it out and still have fresh lettuce.

Hmmm... wonder if spinach would work this way too?

God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue

No comments: