Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Monday, June 25, 2012

Saving Seed

I've saved seed for years -easy stuff like, cilantro, sunflowers and marigolds - but this year I am branching out. I hope to save kale, chard, tomato, pea, spinach and lettuce seed this year. 


This is my kale patch. Kale is a bi-annual plant. It takes 2 years for it to bear seed. Usually our winters do a number on kale and it never comes back, but this year it overwintered and I've got an abundance of seed pods :)


I clipped them off and put them in a bucket. Then I just stirred them around a bit.


Can you see all the black kale seed at the bottom of this bucket? It's way more than I will be able to use next year! It came off a blue curled variety, but I've got another variety that isn't quite so curled that has gone to seed this year too so the offspring will probably be a mix. We will see! I've already replanted some of it. Should know what I've got by this fall.

God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue
 




No comments: