Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Monday, October 28, 2013

Late Potato Update

Today is the first day in nearly two months that my knee hasn't hurt. It's been a real struggle just to get my dishes done and get to the markets, so extra projects like making covers to put over my late potato garden experiment have gone by the way side. Alas! the frost hit before I felt up to dealing with it.


I thought about digging it up and just harvesting whatever might be there, but a couple of years ago I had potatoes at the very first market because I had missed some deep potatoes in a bed the year before. My brain has been concocting a plan.

These weren't planted very deep at all. Plan A had been to cover them with soil from the idle bed beside it as they grew and then return that soil on top of quite a bit of compost when I pulled the potatoes, but a certian body part was not co-operative. 

Potatoes grow on the stems, and if you bury the stems as they grow, you'll get a much bigger harvest.Since plan A was a bust, I decided to try to recreate my surprise harvest a couple of springs ago. 

Plan B is really a lot more fun anyway, given the cute help I had today!


First we went out to the compost pile so we could put another layer of compost on the garden.



Then like any good grama, I buried my help multiple times.


He was a little confused at first, but soon caught on to the fun! 


We had all sorts of fun jumping in the piles and throwing leaves into the garden until it was full. I still have ambitions to make hoop covers for it and cover this garden with plastic, but my help fell asleep and I need to follow :)


God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue





No comments: