Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Aloe Turning Brown?

So often people tell me they can't grow aloe, that it just turns brown on them and dies. Last night, my daughter said the aloe I gave her last summer had turned brown and seemed to be dying.




Sometimes, my aloe turns brown, like the little one in this picture. I can usually bring them back to health, but I haven't really understood what was going on. There were actually several little aloe plants in this pot that were brown last week. I had it sitting beside an open window and the babies on the window side all turned brown.

Last spring, I went out to my folks in Southern California. Out there, aloe grows wild, but I noticed that most of it was brown. They have been having a drought, so I figured that was the reason, but my aloe has had plenty of water.

Thanks to the magic of the internet and a little digging, I think I finally understand! :) Aloe will turn brown if:

  1. The temp dips below 45 degrees.
  2. Or if it experiences big environmental changes such as lots of light or wind.

So, if your aloe is turning brown don't despair! Move it to a warm protected shady spot and it will probably recover :) Then harden it off by moving it to it's summer spot slowly. Make sure the night time temps are high enough, then, place it in a shady spot that is protected from wind or just put it out for short periods at a time to start with. Then slowly increase your aloe's exposure to light and wind. It should be alright :)



God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue


No comments: