Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Fruit Tree Bug Control

If it is sweet and it's in my house, it's usually made with either honey or stevia, but I have to admit, I do have a stash of the white stuff. I use it to kill bugs.


One summer, many years ago, when I was first learning to garden, I did a farmer's market down in Niota with a real master gardener. She said she hangs milk jugs filled with 2 cups of sugar, 2 cups of vinegar and enough water to fill the jug half full in her fruit trees. I haven't done this the last couple of years because I've just been to busy, so I have no idea if it would have helped  with those horrible Japanese beetles. But, I do know that when I put them up in the spring after the blossoms are gone that my apples don't have many bugs in them. The little critters that like to bore into the apples are attracted to the jugs instead. They get down in there and then can't find their way back out. 

Grampa Tom thinks all the rain we've had in this spring should have drowned a lot of the Japanese beetle larva. So, hopefully, that won't be as much of a problem this year. 


God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue




No comments: