Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Monday, June 6, 2011

Mound garden

My new mound garden. Tried to post this directly from my phone, but for some reason the pictures didn't load.



This is a 24 X 48 foot garden that I've been digging paths in and piling up the dirt on the beds. Both the beds and the paths are 3 foot wide. Most people make 4 foot beds, but I have some trouble getting to the middle of our 4 foot concrete block beds, so I decided to scale these down. The mounds are oriented north to south so they get the most sun. The mounds will be permanent garden beds that never have to be walked on. 

Advantages:

1. Soil is not compacted.
2. Better drainage.
3. Weeds can be pulled and crops harvested even if it has just rained.

Right now it is mostly potatoes. I've got a few tomatoes, some melons and a bed of summer greens planted in it. The greens are chard, kale and an new thing for me "arugula". I'm not done building it yet. I'm thinking about  taking it out another few beds and planting a fall garden in those. When the crops come out, I'll put some compost over them and rake the straw in the paths up on to the mounds to rebuild them for the next season. Then I'll put new straw on the paths. It's more work to set up than a conventional garden, but I won't have to wait on a man to come till it :)

God Bless You All!

Grama Sue (who doesn't do tools with motors)



No comments: