Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Sunday, April 7, 2013

New Garden Fence

Yesterday morning I woke up from a dream in which a guest in our home was concerned because the trailer was rocking. Guess what? It was really windy outside! All day long! 


See how the wind was blowing my plastic covers around?


I actually wore a hat. I hate wearing hats, but the pilot light on our water heater goes out on windy days and I  knew if I had any chance of getting a shower, I'd have to do it early so my head was wet when we went out to play in the dirt. I know, makes no sense, but you do what you gotta do. 


We planted some white radishes, arugula, beets and potatoes. I was hoping to build a couple of potato towers, but was it to windy to be stuffing old hay into a wire cage so we wound up putting them in a raised bed. It was tough enough with dirt flying in your eyes. Grampa uses a yard stick to make straight rows in the raised beds. 


We wanted to put hoops up, but it was way to windy to even think about spreading covers so we settled for putting some netting over the beds so that if the chickens got in at least they wouldn't be able to scratch our seed out.


We replaced our short fence with a higher poultry net fence. It's an electric fence, but we are hoping we don't have to use the juice. Chickens rarely ever fly over a fence. They hop on to the top and then jump down. This fence isn't sturdy enough for them to get a good hold on it. We had it around another garden last year and most of the time we didn't have any chickens in it. 


We still have be careful though. Even one chicken can do a lot of damage. I've read about people who use chickens in their gardens  for weed and bug control. I don't know how they do it!


God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue






No comments: