Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Monday, April 29, 2013

Stinging Nettles

It's amazing, I seem to have found a plant that is notorious for causing allergic reactions that I am not allergic to!


Last year, I had an opportunity to go to the local wild foods foraging club that meets in the Keokuk, Hamilton area. (It's called Weed 'Em and if you want to look them up. They are on Face Book.) I had heard about stinging nettles before. They have a long history of being used as a high protein food source and for allergies and arthritis. I was excited about using them and found a patch in the wild a few days later. I took a sack out and was carefully harvesting the top leaves like I had been shown, but suddenly I realized my bare arms had brushed up against them with no reaction! Disappointed that I hadn't found the right thing, I dumped them out and gave up.

Yesterday, I visited my friend Juanita (who is a  member of Weed 'Em and Reap). She had found some stinging nettles and transplanted a few into her yard last fall, so I looked at them again. Yes, that's exactly what I had found. So I dug a few up. Once again brushed against my bare arms. No sting! I can't say that I didn't itch at all, but then again, I itch when I pick tomatoes or cucumbers or green beans or anything that involves touching a lot of leaves.

I stand amazed! Psalm 139:14  I will praise Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made! 

God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue


No comments: