Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Friday, April 26, 2013

Reclaiming Lost Ground

Several years ago, I had some nice flower and herb gardens by the road and in front of the trailer. After Grampa Tom got laid off, the front yard became a pasture for the sheep and the flower garden out by the road suffered great neglect because I wound up working away from home after the first year.

We haven't used the front yard for pasture in a couple of years now and we've decided I'm not going to go back to work full-time, so I'm out to reclaim my lost gardens. Not only that, I'm planning to create a bunch more!


Here's the before picture of my roadside garden. If you look close, you can see the remnants of my old garden. There's a few daffodils, grape hyacinth, a few of the 50 tulip bulbs I planted that survived the chickens eating them and the day lilies I planted around the trees. Last year we planted a few rose of sharons. I put some flags next to them so Grampa Whitson wouldn't mow them off.

This garden extended beyond the brush pile from the tree we had cut down this winter. I'll have to wait until Grampa Tom burns that to work down there, but I should get to it this year.


If I were real smart, I'd just kill everything that is planted here and start over. But there are still some things that I have planted there and I'm just too attached to them to let them go, so I'm digging around them and removing the sod that has filled in the vacuum. I think God is like that with us too. He created us, but the enemy came in and overwhelmed us. When we finally get back under His care, He rips out those things that He didn't plant, but He's careful to leave in us what He created in the first place.

Now if only Grampa Tom would get the fence up that should keep most of the chickens in the pasture. He's can find more things to do instead of building fence. Kinda like me and housework ;)


God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue

This is my favorite garden tiller. Grampa Tom likes the ones with more power, but I'm low tech.




No comments: