Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Weather Outside is Frightful - But Look What's Growing!

Well, the weather outside is frightful,


But the fire in the corn stove is so delightful.

 

Let it grow, let it grow, let it grow!

 

There are 4 shelves and an ottoman full of plants in my living room. This window faces north east, but fortunately I have some grow lights that I put on when the sun starts to go down. I leave them on till I go to bed. That doesn't seem to be quite enough light, but I've only killed one plant so far! One of my momma aloes is on the left, Then I have a pot with some lemon grass and some volunteer chard. Do not ask me how it got in there, but it has tasted good this winter. Next winter I think I'll dedicate a whole pot to it! On the bottom there is a partial onion that I found at the back of my fridge that was growing. Thought I might as well put it in some dirt. 


This is the bottom shelf of the northeast window. I'm pretty sure I killed the thyme, I'm waiting to see if it will come back. If it doesn't, I have a few catnip seeds that I'm gonna plant in it. I put the packet in the  pot when I found it the other day so I don't loose it. There's also basil, some local rosemary and a celery base that I stuck in some dirt.


This is the southeast window. I've got some lemon balm, a begonia start that one of my elderly clients gave me, the orange tree than my grand kids planted and the rosemary that I brought home from my mom's house in California the last time I visited there. 



This is the bottom shelf and the ottoman. I've got some holy basil on the far left, a sweet basil that isn't doing so hot at the center  back, an elderberry start, some lavender and a ton of aloe! I gave away one of my momma plants and several babies after the markets ended last year, but I will have plenty when the markets start again in the spring. I've had to plant a bunch in cups and put them in a basket lined with a plastic bag. They are sitting on the ottoman because the only other window in my house that has anything to sit it on is in the kids room and I keep it closed when they aren't here. It just gets to cold there.  I have  a grow light on them at night too.

What do you have growing in your house?

God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue





No comments: