Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Homemade Toothpaste

Over the past couple of weeks, I've seen several recipes for homemade tooth paste so I thought I'd try my hand at it.


There are several recipes out there that vary here and there, but the basic recipe seems to consist of 3 parts egg shell powder or baking soda to 4 parts coconut oil and 10-15 drops of essential oils. 

A while back, I read about making your own calcium supplement from egg shells so I had some egg shell powder around. To make it I washed several empty egg shells and then dried them in the oven on the lowest temperature for 2 hours. Then I ground them in my coffee grinder. The toothpaste I made with the egg shell seemed pretty gritty, so I tried the baking soda recipe. It's much better. 

I decided to use Thieves Oil from Young Living for my essential oil since it did such a good job on the sinus infection I had the other day. I thought if I use it on a regular basis, I might have a chance at preventing one. If you missed the post and are interested click here

The coconut oil you see there isn't actually the brand I use. Back when I first started using coconut oil, I bought the el cheapo brand from Wal-Mart and saved all the containers. Then I bought a 5 pound bucket from Tropical Traditions last year and filled the containers with their oil so I could store some in the freezer just in case I didn't use it fast enough. I shouldn't have worried. I love the stuff and find all kinds of uses for it :)

It's pretty easy to mix the ingredients together. I decided right away that the blender wand was pretty much over kill and switched to a fork. It's not something you need a lot of power for. 



I'm happy with the final product. It is different than commercial toothpaste, but my 3 y/o grandson used it and didn't spit it out!

God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue


No comments: