Locations

You can find Grama Sue's Rainbow Eggs at:

The Hy Vee on Agency in Burlington, IA


Markets:

Wednesday - Friday 9am to 1pm at the farm 1/2 mi east of the Nauvoo-Colusa Jr. High then 3/4 mile North on 1050.

Wednesday 3-7 pm at the Painted Corners on HWY 96 in Lomax, IL

Saturday:

7 - 11 am Keokuk Farmer's Market at the mall





Thursday, January 24, 2013

Trees From Seeds

This winter I am experimenting with growing trees from seeds. The internet has all kinds of wonderful sites explaining just how to grow trees from seeds. Just google the kind of tree you want to grow along with the words "grow from seed". The basic formula for growing trees that grow in temperate climates like my zone 5 is to plant them in moist soil and freeze for 2 to 10 weeks. 


I'm doing that with these peach and Canadian Hemlock trees, but I thought I might as well try just putting some right in the ground. After all that is what putting the seeds in freezer is supposed to imitate!


In this little plot I have, English walnut, cherry, oak and pear trees. The little flags are where I planted the seed. If they come up, I'll move them to permanent locations with plenty of space between them.


The other tree project I'm experimenting with is a bonsai weeping willow. I love weeping willows, but Grampa Tom thinks they are nothing but a nuisance tree because they tend to loose branches in wind storms.  He won't let me have one, so I decided to try my hand at bonsai. I don't have any of those cute rectangular bonsai containers yet, but I planted this weeping willow in a pot and I'm leaving it outside. Not sure if it will survive the winter, but none of the bonsai sites mentioned anything about bringing the trees in for the winter. It still looks like it's living, so we will see.

If only I could come up with an easy willow branch project that would make money. Then maybe Grampa Tom would let me plant one for real. Anyone got any suggestions?


God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue


No comments: